Thursday, December 5, 2013

To the Editor

The following letter is reprinted by permission of the author and by Animal People, where it first appeared.1

* * * * *
To the Editors of Animal People,

I enclose a donation in memory of my old dog Penny, whose last year of life was very difficult after a pit bull attack. I lost a finger while trying to rescue her.

Yours is the only publication I know where one can read the truth about pit bulls. I appreciate your courage.

I hope your readers will stop donations to all six animal charities listed in Jeff Borchardt's letter "Who killed Daxton Borchardt?,"2 published in your September 2013 edition. I phoned three of those charities after my dog and I were attacked and told them I was removing them from my will because they are pushing the adoption of pit bulls, while wonderful, friendly dogs of other breeds are being euthanized.

I have volunteered for animals for 43 years, including at county shelters and humane societies. I took many abused and neglected dogs into my home. Yet, while walking Penny on a leash in a park, we were attacked by three pit bulls who were up for adoption! These same dogs were being taken into classrooms full of small children. I stopped than.

In memory of 14-month old Daxton Borchardt, I encourage Animal People readers to write letters to their local newspapers and contact the staff of their local schools to make sure they are not brainwashed into believing that pit bulls are "nanny dogs." Perhaps we can prevent another precious life from being taken from us.

Hazel Mortensen
Solvang, California

* * * * *

The six animal charities listed in Jeff Borchardt's letter and referred to by Ms. Mortensen are:
  • Best Friends Animal Society
  • National Canine Research Council
  • Animal Farm Foundation
  • BADRAP
  • ASPCA
  • HSUS (Humane Society of the U.S )


* * * * *

Notes:
1 Animal People, October 2013, p6
2 Animal People, September 2013, p7


Related Source:
Father of child killed by babysitter's pit bulls speaks out;
   Dogsbite, July 26, 2013


Statistics:
Statistics quoted on SRUV are from the 30+ year, continuously updated Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, published by Animal People. To view or download the current PDF click here. This page may also include information from Dogsbite and Fatal Pit Bull Attacks.

Information on euthanasia rates is from Pit bulls and Political Recklessness, by Merritt Clifton. Shelter  intake and euthanasia rates are published annually in the July/August edition of Animal People.


Google News: Today's pit bull attacks in the US




-->-->
-->